Smoked Blueberry Crumble!
This is by far one of our favorite desserts to make on the grill! It's really easy and doesn't take a lot of time to get it done. Plus you'll impress your guests with the presentation! Try it out and let us know what you think.
Burn Pit's Smoked Blueberry Crumble
The Method: Indirect Grilling (also great for the oven if you don’t have a grill!) - check out how to set up your grill here
- 3 pints blueberries (fresh is preferred, but will work with frozen)
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 oz gingersnaps crumbled (1/2 cup crumbs)
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- Pinch of salt
- 10-Inch Cast Iron Skillet (Substitute 8 x 10-inch aluminum foil pan sprayed with cooking oil)
- Food processor
- 1 cup apple or cherry wood chips or chunks soaked for at least 1 hour (don’t use if you are using an oven!)
- Remove stems and leaves from blueberries if needed
- Place berries in a large mixing bowl
- Add ¼ cup of flour, sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice to bowl and toss to mix
- Spoon mixture into cast iron (or aluminum foil pan already sprayed with cooking oil)
- Place brown sugar, ginger snaps, and the remaining ½ cup of flour in a food processor. Process until a coarse powder forms.
- Add the butter and salt, then pulse until mixture is crumbly!
- Set up your grill for indirect grilling – preheat to 375-450°F
- Toss the wood chips/chunks in on the coals (or check out our blog for smoking on a gas grill)
- When ready to smoke, place the skillet in the center of the grate away from the heat. Cover the grill and cook until the filling is bubbling, and the topping is browned. Approx. 40 mins!
- Serve warm and with a side of vanilla ice cream!
For a different flavor, replace the blueberries with blackberries!
If you enjoyed this post or found it helpful, I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread by emailing it to a friend, or sharing it on Twitter or Facebook. Thank you!