Get ready to savor the irresistible flavors of Italy with our Grilled Sausage and Pepper Sandwiches recipe. This classic dish combines smoky, grilled Italian sausages with tender, caramelized bell peppers and onions, all loaded into a toasted sub roll. Whether you're grilling up a weekend feast or seeking a quick and satisfying dinner option, these sandwiches offer a taste of Mediterranean comfort that's sure to please the whole family.
Grilled sausage and pepper sandwiches are a delicious and hearty meal. Here's a simple recipe to make them:
For the Sausage and Peppers:
- 4 Italian sausages (sweet or hot, depending on your preference)
- 2 large bell peppers (red, green, or a combination), sliced into strips
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Ground Pounder Garlic Seasoning, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional for added heat)
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
For the Sandwiches:
- 4 Italian-style sub rolls or baguettes
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce (optional)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Fresh basil or parsley for garnish (optional)
1. Prepare the Grill:
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat (about 350-400°F/175-200°C). Make sure to clean and oil the grates to prevent sticking.
2. Prepare the Sausage and Peppers:
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced bell peppers, onions, minced garlic, olive oil, dried oregano, red pepper flakes (if using), and Ground Pounder Garlic Seasoning. Toss to coat the vegetables evenly.
- (Optional) Prick the sausages with a fork or knife in a few places to prevent them from bursting on the grill.
3. Grill the Sausages and Peppers:
- Place the sausages on the grill and cook for about 5-6 minutes per side or until they are cooked through and have nice grill marks. The internal temperature of the sausages should reach 160-165°F (71-74°C).
- While grilling the sausages, place the seasoned pepper and onion mixture in a grill-safe pan or a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil. You can place this on the grill grates next to the sausages.
- Grill the peppers and onions, stirring occasionally, until they are tender and slightly caramelized, which should take about 10-15 minutes. You can add a bit of broth to help create steam and soften the vegetables.
4. Assemble the Sandwiches:
- If desired, split the sub rolls or baguettes in half and lightly toast them on the grill.
- If you'd like to add some extra flavor, spread a little marinara sauce on the toasted rolls.
- Place a grilled sausage on each roll.
- Top the sausage with the grilled pepper and onion mixture.
- If you're a cheese lover, sprinkle some shredded mozzarella on top.
- Garnish with fresh basil or parsley, if desired.
- Serve your grilled sausage and pepper sandwiches hot and enjoy!
These sandwiches are perfect for a casual outdoor gathering or a hearty dinner option during the fall.