Game Changing Mac & Cheese!
This mac and cheese recipe was a game changer in our household!
The creamy-ness of the cheese combined with the savory of the bacon really made for an explosion of flavor.
The added smoky-ness was just the icing on the cake!
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 3 cups medium sharp shredded cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ cups gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 Package macaroni noodles
- 2 tablespoons Fire For Effect Rub
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Cheese shredder
- Heat the smoker up to 225 degrees F
- Cook the noodles according to instructions. Drain, place in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and melt ½ cup of butter into the skillet. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute, or until the flour smells toasty.
- Pour in the half and half and whisk well to combine. Bring the half and half to a boil, then reduce to heat to a simmer and whisk in the cream cheese until the cream cheese is fully melted.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and whisk in the shredded cheddar, shredded gruyere, Fire For Effect Rub, and Dijon mustard until a smooth cheese sauce forms.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the pasta and chopped bacon and stir well with a spatula to coat the noodles with the sauce.
- Once coated, pour the mixture into a tinfoil pan and spread evenly
- Place the pan on the grill and smoke for 1 hour, or until the cheese is melty. Using oven mitts, carefully remove the skillet from the grill and serve immediately. Top with more bacon, if desired.