We entered this Chili in a local Chili cook off last weekend. We didn’t win, but it sure was a hit with the fellow competitors and family. The unique smokey flavor of the vegetables and beans made it stand out from the rest. This one we will definitely do again.
This calls for a double batch and serves approximately 16. Simply cut the ingredients in half for a smaller gathering or nightly meal.
Things I would do differently next time is probably add some ground sausage and use a darker beer, like a stout. Either way, this one is good!
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 4 slices of bacon (cooked and chopped)
- 1 onion diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoons chili powder divided (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and diced
- 14 ½ ounces crushed tomatoes canned
- 2 fresh tomatoes diced
- 19 ounces kidney beans canned, drained & rinsed
- 14 ½ ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 1 cup beer (use your favorite dark beer) - can be substituted with extra broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar optional
- 1 tablespoon Fire For Effect
- 1 tablespoon All Ration
- salt and pepper to taste
Add the beans, tomatoes, and peppers to a tin foil pan and put on the smoker for 1 hour. Keeping the temp low at 225 degrees and adding your favorite smoke flavor. For this one, I went with mesquite. - keep an eye on the beans, as they may dry out if left on for too long.
After an hour, let them cool while you prepare the meat
Combine ground beef and 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder, Fire for Effect, and All Ration.
In a large pot, brown ground beef, onion, jalapeno, and garlic. Drain any fat.
Add in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 45-60 minutes or until chili has reached desired thickness.
--this process may take a little longer, so give yourself plenty of time. If you need to thicken it up, add some cornmeal or more beans!
Top it with your favorite toppings and a cold beer!
You may not win a competition with this one, but you sure will win over your friends and family!
Give it a try and let us know what you think!